[UPDATES] Closing on 2.7 -- really

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Jan 4 23:41:11 UTC 2000

Folks -

Here are 12 more updates.  I hope to get 2.7 out in the next day or so now.
Any loose ends will henceforth become part of the 2.8alpha project.

	- Dan
----------------------
1749LZ77 -- Andreas Raab -- 2 January 2000
Adds LZ77 based compression (e.g. PKZip/GZip) to Squeak. GZip compression is available from the FileList ('compress file') but will take a *long* time without the plugin support. The quality and speed of compression is similar to that of other compressors from the LZ77 family.
Note: I have run a regression test on 83,210 files (11,583,048,046 bytes; every accessible file on my hard disk) to make sure compression works as expected.
"Remove some old classes we don't need anymore"
Smalltalk removeClassNamed:#InflatePlugin.
Smalltalk removeClassNamed:#GZipStream.
Smalltalk removeClassNamed:#ZLibStream.
"Add two new pools"
Smalltalk at: #ZipConstants ifAbsentPut:[Dictionary new].
Smalltalk at: #GZipConstants ifAbsentPut:[Dictionary new].

1750CompressionTweaks-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 2 January 2000
Tweaks for compressing non-binary contents (e.g., using Strings instead of ByteArrays)."

1751MoreCompressionTweaks -- Andreas Raab -- 2 January 2000
Fixes problems introduced with the last change set (seems like I wasn't really recovered from the party yet...)"

1752env6-tkML

1753filePath-tkMQ -- Ted Kaehler -- 2 January 2000
Recent changes to FileDirectories made the top level of the FileList not work.  If selected [] to choose your hard disk or a server, and chose the hard disk, it broke.
	In that case, we now look up HardDisk: instead of just HardDisk (with suitable delimiter for each platform).
	And don't call checkName:fixErrors: when the local name is empty (i.e. the top directory)."

1754preDebug-tkMR -- Ted Kaehler -- 3 January 2000
Allow morphic preDebug windows to use the full width for the message.  Widen the window to 450 pixels because it now says MessageNotUnderstood: instead of the previous shorter text."

1755TTFontReaderPatch-sma -- Stefan Matthias Aust (sma at 3plus4.de) -- 1 January 2000
This change set adds support for cmap format 4 and 6 encoding to the TTFontReader class (format 4 is actually recommended by Microsoft). This allows to read in most existing true type fonts without errors - actually, of some 30 freeware and shareware fonts I tested all worked.
It also corrects the format 0 encoding and fixes a problem, that the reader was preferring an missing mac encoding over an existing windows encoding.  Furthermore, a bug in TTSampleFontMorph's smoothing menu has fixed. I also reformatted a few methods."

1756ScanCharacterFailFix -- Dan Ingalls -- 3 January 2000
Fixes a strange bug originally reported by Bob Arning, wherein if the text scanCharacters primitive failed due to, eg, translucency mode, its destX value had been changed by partial operation of the primitive up to when the BB failure takes effect.  This resulted in improper positioning when the Squeak-level retry was attempted.
Now when such a failure occurs, no store-back occurs, and the retry takes place normally.

1757DirectoryEntryFix -- Dan ingalls -- 4 January 2000
Fixes a problem pointed out by Ted Keahler, and clarified by Dragos-Anton Manolescu.
When the 6th token of a ServerDirectory entry is a time, Squeak had assumed the year was the current year, whereas it should be the year that this month must be, given that it is within the past 6 months.  I have now fixed this.

1758ScanCharsFailFix2 -- Dan Ingalls -- 4 January 2000
Supplants the change of #1756 with an earlier check for failure.  While the other fix did improve display, several situations remained with glitches.  Those are now fixed.

1759DecompileFix -- Dan Ingalls -- 4 January 2000
Fixes a decompile bug introduced as part of the new brace compilation/decompilation.

1760TwoWayScrollPane -- Bob Arning -- 4 January 2000
Since it was in Undeclared I(di) took the liberty of including the version in FSM.  We probably need to clean this up some, but at least there's code there now.