[comp.lang.smalltalk] The BYTE Balloon Image IS Free!! -> poster?

Chris Macie cjmacie at well.com
Sun Jan 23 03:32:56 UTC 2000

At 07:30 AM 1/22/00 -0800, you wrote:

>In case this is news to anyone.  (It was to me. :)

>From: Eliot Miranda <eliotm at pacbell.net>
>Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk
>Subject: The BYTE Balloon Image IS Free!!  [Was Re: A Mascot For Smalltalk -
> why?]
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:54:35 -0800
>
>Bob Nemec Eliot Miranda wrote:
>ObjectSHare paid the artist for the rights to the byte cover in 98
>and put the image in the public domain.  I got ObjectShare to stump
>up the money. There are no restrictions against using this image.
>
>I have been pointing this out for two years now and people still
>think the image is restricted.  It isn't.  Please feel free to use it!
>
>http://brain.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/Images
>
>P.S. If some fine soul could take the high-resolution scan
>(http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/Graphics/byte.gif) and extend it so it was a
>landscape image I could use it as a backdrop.  (I do anyway, but the top of
>the balloon is cut-off; sob)
>_______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
>Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

(At the URL above, Ralph Johnson suggests that Robert Tinney make posters...)

Way back when (early 1980s), I communicated with Robert Tinney a couple of
times -- ordering prints of the original balloon image -- and got
permission from him to blow it up into a poster to show at Hannover / CeBit
 and elsewhere.  A neighborhood photo shop in Germany did it, from a 35mm
slide of the picture that I shot -- they had a special offer deal on slide
-> poster blow-ups.  I think it cost the equivalent of about $10 then.  I
still have it somewhere; kept it on the wall, up through the period I
worked at ParcPlace Systems (R.I.P.).

Thanks to Eliot (and ObjectShare), the permission is no longer necessary,
although I think it would be appropriate to always give credit to Robert
Tinney. Given present day sophistication of photo/digital services, a
blow-up of the hi-res image should be readily possible and inexpensive.
Many on this discussion board no doubt still have copies of the print, in
case an even higher resolution copy would make a better enlargement.

I also have a copy or two of the original BYTE issue... If not already
done, someone should digitize the ST articles and post them www-wise. I
find of lot of them by no means out-of-date, especially in early phases of
learning Smalltalk --  for instance Adele Goldberg's introduction, the
"Design Principles" one, and the one on control structures by Peter Deutsch.