resolution of sockets on mac in 2.7 -> 2.8

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jan 19 03:44:11 UTC 2000

If I recall correctly, there was a discussion here about six months
ago about how the sockets on the Mac Squeak were being done
incorrectly for being a reliable server - something where a process
puts up a "tell me if someone connects to port 80" which then
disappears when the port is actually connected, so I must repeat the
"tell me" part before the next potential client comes along.  This was
in contrast to the BSD style of having a "listen->accept" paradigm,
where the listener was always in place, and did not need to be
reinstalled on each accepted client.

Now, did this ever get resolved from "icky old mac way" to "real BSD
way" in any recent release?  Again, if I recall, it was something
about "switching to open transport instead of MacTCP".  Also, if I
recall, until this switch is made, Swikis and such can never be made
totally reliable on heavy systems.

If it's been made already, thank you. :) I just don't recall it going
by in any changeset.