Squeak, E.Commerce, E.Community and dynabooks

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 7 18:53:28 UTC 2000

I probably should have edited that presentation a bit before posting
it, since that comment is being taken out of context and without my
speech along with it, so thanks for letting me explain.

My audience was (broadly speaking) a group of Squeak-skeptics who are
mostly Java and C++ users.  I wanted to be careful to identify the
strengths of Squeak right out-of-the-box, as compared to Java or C++
right out-of-the-box, as opposed to what Squeak is capable of.  I do
believe that Squeak *could* be used for ecommerce and high-traffic
sights, but *as it is right now*, it lacks features that are packaged
with things like Java (like database connectivity, ease of use with
fast and native webservers).

For example, even with Comanche (our latest webserver), a big class
(150+ students) using the site a lot can (so far, inexplicably) kill
the server -- even on a pretty-powerful Unix box.  We're working on
that, but the current state-of-the-art makes Squeak look bad for
those kinds of applications compared to other systems.

What I did emphasize in my talk are the multimedia and programming
facilities in Squeak that are far beyond what you get in Java and C++.

For our work, descriptions of our stuff are at
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/squeakers/  It's getting updated,
as it's the beginning of the term, so check back in a few days.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu