Question: Flash player not in Flash window??

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue Jan 18 01:19:34 UTC 2000

I need to play flash movies within another morph rather than in a
Flash window. However, Flash players seem only to want to be opened
in windows; #openInWorld forces itself to open in a flash window,
adds a model, etc.

I discovered that I could drag the flash player out of the window and
it still seemed to work. This suggested that I merely stick the flash
player morph in some other morph and open the other morph to get the
player to open. I set background colors to transparent so that other
things showed through, and ended up with this code:

fn := 'PPC9500:Lang:Squeak:Squeak2.7 Folder:flash swf
folder:home.mpinet.net/dgarystudios:dgs_FT_enter.swf'.
	f _ ((FileDirectory forFileName: fn) readOnlyFileNamed: fn) binary.
	player _ (FlashMorphReader on: f) processFile.
	m := RectangleMorph new.
	m	addMorph: player;
		bounds: player bounds;
		color: Color transparent;
		borderWidth: 0.
	player
		color: Color transparent;
		startPlaying.
	m openInWorld

The sample has a number of disjoint visual pieces and the effect is
just what I was looking for: a flash movie plays with no visible
background itself so that other stuff shows through.

One problem is that the sample file was stolen from a commercial site
so I can't send it; it's also big enough to matter.

My question is whether this just seems to work for this one case
(actually I've tried three), or will work in general for all flash
files that work anyway?

If it works in general, why doesn't a flash player allow itself to
#openInWorld? I would really expect the current #openInWorld to be
named #openInWindow considering what it does.

Help!

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center