Safe Return

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Jan 17 07:03:34 UTC 2000

> [The TFEI implementation of BlockContext>>valueUninterruptably]
> was in [the TFEI implementation of BlockContext>>ensure:] originally
> as a neat trick (picked up from Craig L) to avoid having to make vm
> changes to implement ensured execution.  As Stephen and Rob have
> shown, however, the bloody thing is pretty broken and (imo) should
> be quietly buried out back with a stake through its heart.

	I'd like to point out that the problem is a longstanding bug in the virtual machine, and that I released a fix for it on 25 March 1999 (at http://netjam.org/self/projects/smalltalk/sources/cannotReturn1g2.zip). The virtual machine currently doesn't check for nil senders between active and home contexts.

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist