[ANN] distribution of Squeak programs

David Pennell dpennell at quallaby.com
Sun Jan 30 17:21:14 UTC 2000

[snip]

> Worked fine for me, too (on Linux). There's no "ini" file needed on Linux,
> so it just up and runs. There were a number of previous posts
> about putting
> the image into the same file with the VM. If this could also be done,
> nobody would even know that their "hanoi" program was Squeak. I suspect
> also that as image segments come into use, the distributed "executable"
> could become quite small, and would appear to be a program with
> no separate
> image file.

Lex has shown us a way to distribute closed squeak programs without
doing all the hard work (yet) to build a combined image/VM.  This
approach has the wonderful advantage of working right now.  I think
this is enough to actually build some shrink-wrap apps and try them
out with non-squeak audiences. As image segments mature, we can
incorporate them into the process.

-david