[ENH] BDF fonts for squeak

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Mon Jan 24 04:33:40 UTC 2000

>[dangerous to delurk after only a few days, especially with code...]
>
>After the recent discussion on the mailing list about getting some decent
>free fonts, I decided to put together a few pieces.  I wanted a better
>choice of fonts to experiment with on PDA-size screens.  Also I find the
>Apple font clause in the Squeak license pernicious; if nothing else, it
>could keep Squeak from being distributed on Linux CD-ROMs.
>
>Without the Apple fonts, Squeak might be able to pass the Open Source
>Guidelines or the Debian Free Software Guidelines
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract ).

With all due respect, this notion of "freedom" is strongly at odds
with the English definition of the word.  GPL is decidedly more
restrictive on what I can do with software than the more BSD-like
Squeak license.  FSF opts to redefine the word "free" to make these
restrictions more palatable to the choir, but restrictions are
restrictions, and those restrictions do not make me free.  Indeed,
the notion of "freedom" defined in the Debian "social contract" is
indeed at odds with itself, to wit:

      "License Must Not Contaminate Other Software

      The license must not place restrictions on other
      software that is distributed along with the licensed
      software. For example, the license must not insist
      that all other programs distributed on the same medium
      must be free software."

Yet according to RMS, a GPL library can not be linked with a Squeak
plugin, without rendering the entire image in which it is contained
subject to GPL restrictions.  Since the licenses are incompatible,
the images would then be barred from distribution, and possibly from
further use or modification by the person who merged them.
Unsurprisingly, the same result would have obtained if all Apple
fonts were excised from the image.

Many significant Squeak projects that might have used GPL have either
been stunted, reworked using free BSD-like licensed libraries, or
wholly rewritten from scratch because of the arcane limitations of
GPL supposedly in the name of "freedom."

Therefore, some of us who have found the Squeak license exceedingly
workable, and extraordinarily free, find the GPL claim of "freedom"
ironic.  My personal view is that a "free" license shouldn't require
as much lawyering and correspondence as was necessary to discover
that GPL software cannot be used in a Squeak image without risking
claims of Copyright infringement.  Interestingly, the issues
presently being debated with regard to the next draft of GPL is not
how to repair these problems, but to the contrary, whether GPL is
"restrictive" enough to better assure the infection of software using
or incorporating libraries.

Maybe it isn't the Apple font provision that is the more "pernicious"?

Regardless of any ideological view of open source licensing, we who
were gifted Squeak software by Apple, Disney and its brilliant
authors must take Squeak as it comes -- subject to the Squeak
license.  Those who want a GPL Smalltalk (which Squeak can never be
unless Apple or FSF consents otherwise) must look to the decidedly
inferior and non-innovative GNU Smalltalk.

For my part, Squeak feels a lot more free.