[ANNOUNCE][GOODIE] Time Zone Support for Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jan 23 16:54:43 UTC 2000

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 05:49:19PM -0500, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> > > Not really.  A careful read of GPL suggests that it is inconsistent
> > > with the Squeak license.  Incorporating GPL code into the image as an
> > > individual probably does not violate either GPL or Squeak (although
> > > recent RMS writings indicate otherwise), but any subsequent
> > > distribution of the same to a third party would violate either the
> > > Squeak license or the GPL.  Accordingly, the code could never be
> > > safely incorporated into the Squeak central image.
> > >
> > > I wish I could report differently.
> > >
> > > If the code is original and your own, may I suggest that you instead
> > > reissue it subject to the provisions of the Squeak license?
> > >

> >Can I do something along the lines of:
> >
> >"You may use XXXXX under the terms of either the Gnu Public License or
> >the Squeak License, whichever you prefer. No other license terms are
> >permitted without written consent of the author."
>
> Actually, may I suggest that you state instead, "You may use,
> reproduce, make derivative works or distribute XXX . . ."

Thanks. I updated the swiki to say this. Just for the record, since the
swiki is editable by anybody, the Time Zone package for Smalltalk is:

Copyright (C) 1999, 2000 David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
You may use, reproduce, make derivative works or distribute the software
under the terms of either the Gnu Public License
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) or the Squeak License
(http://www.squeak.org/license.html), whichever you prefer. No other
license terms are permitted without written consent of the author.

Dave