TeX in Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 25 22:58:58 UTC 2000

At 5:08 PM -0500 1/25/00, Mark Guzdial wrote:

>OzTeX on a Mac is Applescript-able.  I wonder if it would be possible
>to create a variation of this in MacSqueak using Andrew's AppleScript
>primitives?  You probably couldn't get the cool incremental
>formatting that you have in WysiTeX, but you might still get
>something powerful.

TeXtures also has AppleEvent support for external editors, so it shouldn't
be that hard to hook it up.

>I recently found a product called Scientific Word
>(http://www.tcisoft.com/) which is a WYSIWYG front-end to TeX -- it
>produces TeX as output, and gives you a WYSIWYG frontend for editing.
>If there's a market for that one, why not WysiTeX?

The main problem, I'm given to understand, with Scientific Word is that
it's LaTeX is non-standard, so it's difficult to move files from system to
system. That may have changed.

If you're on *nix (or on Windows and masochistic--er...is that redundant?
:)) there's LyX (http://www.lyx.org), which is basically Open Source
Scientific Word. I haven't used it, but a pal o' mine has and loves it.

I'd love something similar in Squeak. Actually, merely having TeX output
would be a boon. (Alas, I was unable to file-in the MathMorphs TeX fileout
code.)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.