Of source code lost in eternity

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Jan 11 10:34:37 UTC 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> Second, I discovered http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/SQFIXES/ , of which I
> had no knowledge before now!  And I even found one of my own, small
> Fixes on that server.  This is really great.  I assume that it works
> because I included [FIX] in the subject line of my original
> submission.

Right. The procmail filter expression is "\[.*(FIX|ENH|ADD|ANN|GOOD).*\]".

> SQFIXES seems to work fairly well without any moderation.  But it
> does have some shortcomings.  For example, if I find a bug in my fix,
> or even a typo in the email message that announced it, there appears
> to be no way to fix it.

Unfortunately, yes. You could post the fix again with EXACTLY the same
subject. These will be shown together. My PWS-MailArchiveAction that is
showing the messages wasn't actually written to collect fixes, but to show
a threaded view of a discussion. So it isn't optimal in this respect. I
welcome suggestions, but I can't promise to implement these soon.

Btw, no one except SqC should add [UPDATE] to the subject line, because
this triggers mirroring of the update servers.

> Where would moderation be useful?  Some of you will probably remember
> an email storm a few weeks go which I started by announcing a fix for
> a bug in Interval>>includes:  Fortunately, I didn't say [FIX] in that
> email--I say fortunately because my fix was (a) buggy and (b)
> superceded by a lot of people more versed in Squeak than I am doing a
> more complete and more elegant job.

No replys ("Re:") to [FIX] messages are counted, so thats no problem.

> How does the "final" fix in such a chain get into
> http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/SQFIXES/ ?

Just like every other fix - post it prefixed correctly :-)

> Sounds like the role of a moderator to me.

I'd say he who started the thread shall be responsible ;-)

For me personally, it would be too much work to track each thread to
collect fixes - that's why I set up sqfixes in the first place.

> Also, my enhancement to the browser that provides control over the
> automatic generation of getters and setters did not get into SQFIXES,
> even though it is a more significant piece or work, and thanks to the
> other people on this list, quite polished.

Was it prefixed with [FIX]? Our mail server was down for a couple of days
at the end of december, so I might have missed sme messages.

> And what is the difference between [GOODIE] and [ENH] anyway?

IMO, a goodie is more like a self-contained application, while an
enhancement adds something to existing facilities. A fix corrects
something that's broken, so probably will get included in the official
update stream, which might or might not happen with the other stuff.
"Addon" is a synonym for "goodie".

  -Bert-