Symbol and Array printOn:

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Fri Jan 14 00:56:44 UTC 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> I'd also vote for adding at least # to the printString of symbols.  Beside
> the arguments of everybody else, I'd like to add that to me, the most
> important thing is to be able to easily distinguish Symbols and Strings.

One more vote in favor from me, so it's not forgotten. :-)

It seems that discussion has been fairly unanimous so far in favor of
adding # to the printString of symbols, anyway.  Adding # to the
printString of arrays could always be put off until later, if it causes
problems.

The missing # bothers me the most when I can't tell if I'm inspecting a
class (e.g. Fraction), or a symbol representing the class (should be
#Fraction).  This comes up when inspecting browser-related code, among
other places...

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net