AccuFonts licence (some assistence needed)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 7 07:14:17 UTC 2000

After some discussion with the owner I managed to get a license to use the
AccuFonts within Squeak. These fonts are bitmapped fonts that look/feel like
the majority of city named fonts in Apple's suite of fonts. New York of
course being one of them. By using these fonts we do not have exposure to
the original Squeak license that talks about Apple Fonts, and which has
restrictions on use/sale.

These fonts are currently used in Windows applications by Informix and in
Sybase's PowerBuilder development environment.

However there is a little work to be done on our part. I've posted both Mr.
Easterbrook notes to me below. As you can see someone needs to tidy up the
EULA. Takers?

We also of course need to take these windows 3.x bitmap font files and
convert them to something Squeak would like. So if anyone has done that
before, please let me know. Within Squeak there seems to be a lot of code
dealing with Mac Font files but not any Windows stuff.

Oh and I doubt there is a Euro symbol in this stuff...

> Hmm..
>
> That's basically the EULA.  The restrictions or terms as below.  No fancy
> words, just plain talk.  Use it where you want within Squeak, don't charge
> for it, recognize the owner.
>
> I am unwilling to put a lot of time/effort into something that will become
> essentially public domain within the smalltalk world, so if a fancier set of
> language is felt to be needed to protect the rights to use the fonts, then I
> propose the group or mailing list decide how they'd like that phrased for
> their benefit.
>
> I leave it in your hands to move this forward for your constituency.

> Doug Easterbrook
> Arts Management Systems Ltd.
> mailto:doug at artsman.com
> http://www.artsman.com
> Phone (403) 215-5701    Fax (403) 215-5704

> I've thought about what I'd like to do about this to help you and I have a
> simple proposal - minimum of legalese stuff.
>
> I'm willing to provide the fonts free of charge subject to the following
> license stipulations or EULA.
>
> 1) that they can be copied as often as people want as part of the 'squeak'
> environment but cannot be divorced from such
> 2) that people cannot make money off reselling them
> 3) that any deployed product using the fonts place an acknowledgement in
> their splash screen or documentation some words to the effect 'fonts
> licensed from Arts Management Systems'.
> 4) that the license is perpetual and cannot be revoked
> 5) that Arts Management makes no warranties as to the fitness of the fonts
> for any purpose, nor a guarantee that they work.
>

> what is basically amounts to is an acknowledgement where they came from and
> user beware.
>

> Would that suit the purpose you need them for?

> Doug Easterbrook
> Arts Management Systems Ltd.
> mailto:doug at artsman.com
> http://www.artsman.com
> Phone (403) 215-5701    Fax (403) 215-5704

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6