CVS structure

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 7 17:35:29 UTC 2000

on 7/7/00 5:44 AM, Marcel Weiher at marcel at metaobject.com wrote:

> Just to make things a little more complicated:  with MacOS-X, you
> run into a multiple-inheritance situation because it both is-a Unix
> and is-a Mac...
>
> Marcel

I've been thinking for a few weeks and tinkering on this issue.

1) Yes you could have a true Unix based application for Squeak under OS-X,
just make it part of the Unix tree, OS-X *IS* Unix.

2) You want a true carbonized Squeak for people. People use it on their macs
today and migrate to OS-X next year(s) without having to fiddle with
software updates.

3) It is possible to build a non-carbon/carbon/m68K application, that is a
double-clickable application from System 6 thru to OS-X. Thus one can say
just download and run this app on your mac and not get into asking about
what flavor of OS they have. Certainly best so we don't have to support old
plugins to support old versions of the OS.

I see these as just continuing the mac tree, and the unix tree. Perhaps
you'll need a mac/carbon tree, since that environment is evolving and some
things we do in the mac version of Squeak you can't yet do or require
rewriting in Carbon.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6