[Q] MenuMorph add:subMenu: trouble

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Jul 23 02:56:49 UTC 2000

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT) Aaron Thieme <ghede at well.com> wrote:
>.... I get an error when the menu is instantiated (not when it's being
>created!).  Digging showed the problem to be that the MenuItemMorph titled
>'sub...' has no arguments;  there's an iterating block context (over the
>items in the main menu) in something like "instantiateInView"

Would that perchance be #setInvokingView: ? If so, here are some thoughts:

	"Re-work every menu item of the form
		<target> perform: <selector>
	to the form
		<target> perform: <selector> orSendTo: <invokingView>.
	This supports MVC's vectoring of non-model messages to the editPane."

I haven't found this to be particularly helpful since I am generally very careful about setting the target/action of each menu item the way I want it and preferring it to stay that way. One way you can avoid this behavior is to use DumberMenuMorph in place of MenuMorph - that is the sole reason for Dumber's existence.

> that assumes
>that "item arguments" will return a collection.  In my case, for whatever
>reason, arguments is nil and I get an error.

Cheers,
Bob