How to convert Block Temps? was: HotDraw in Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 19 17:29:22 UTC 2000

John Clonts wrote:

> What's wrong with Squeak's block temps?
>
> [ :d | |r| r := d/2. ^ r squared] value: 8
>
> works for me... Am I missing something?
Yup. The small hack that allows the block temps works by adding them to
the list of method temps. The problem with that is that any method that
_re_uses temp names will have problems, whereas a proper Closure system
would allow name reuse since they would acutally be differente scopes.

Ian P has said that he would do something about this sometime, IIRC. It
would be reasonable to group it in with his work on the jitter since it
involves some changes to the lower levels of the VM, as well as the
Compiler classes.

tim