[OT] Neal Stephenson on OS's

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Tue Jul 18 16:18:57 UTC 2000

> John Clonts wrote:
"Neal Stephenson, author of "Snow Crash"..."   <snip>

Rob Withers wrote:
>  I just read that book recently.  How far off are we from the Multiverse,
> do you think?

[Norton, Chris]  We've got a LONG way to go to the Metaverse!  Can you
imagine the bandwidth it would take to have 10,000 or so avatars romping
around in a virtually seamless 3D landscape?  I know that there has been
significant work done with 3D imaging, but casually mapping a human to a 3D
figure is not trivial.  Remember how Hiro's computer tracked his movements
and beamed images into his eyes?  He had a sword fight from his bedroom
(storage shed) with somebody in the Metaverse.  Just tracking his movements
and translating them into a 3D scene would take unbelievable software...

But, on the other hand, with the human genome project just starting to take
off, I think we'll probably see biohackers in the very near future...

That book is awesome.  A must read for people that are into computers and
science fiction!

Cheers,

---==> Chris