CVS structure

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Sun Jul 9 10:04:16 UTC 2000

> From: John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
> 1) Yes you could have a true Unix based application for Squeak
under OS-X,
> just make it part of the Unix tree, OS-X *IS* Unix.

Why do you say 'could'?  The MacOS-X and MacOS-X-server ports of
Squeak are just that, true Unix Squeaks, and have been for quite a
while now.

However, it is different from the other Unixen in that it doesn't
use X-Windows, using native windowing accessed from Cocoa instead.
So it isn't a straight version of the Unix line, although it does
share the common socket and file I/O code, stuff like that.  (Note to
self: update the sockets code!).

On the other hand, it looks like the easiest way to support sound
will be to use the Carbon routines, so the 'Unix version' of MacOS-X
squeak might start to import code from the 'classic' MacOS line.

I see Carbon as a pure legacy-support option that isn't really
necessary for Squeak.  The MacOS-X(-server) version runs images
bit-compatibly and has been around for, what, something like two
years now.

Marcel