CVS structure

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri Jul 7 18:40:25 UTC 2000

Ned Konz wrote:

> Tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if CVS allows links etc, but Eliot used to use a really
> > neat directory structure for BrouHaHa where the 'real' files were split
> > functionally and then platform directories were full of links to the
> > appropriate files. Thus you can have your /includes, /macOSX, Acorn,
> > /cpu/x86, /os/unix etc however you want and anyone wanting a macOSX for
> > alpha can get everything from a directory with all that in one place.
>
> It is possible to set up the CVSROOT/modules file so that getting
> a module will get a sub-module. Sub-modules can thus be shared between
> modules.

This is the solution if we want to have some common stuff below the root
of platform specific stuff without the ability for using symlinks.

> Symlinks, from what I've been able to read in the archives of
> gnu.cvs.help,
> kinda work, but can confuse things. And you'd have to have OS support
> to make them work, which rules out Windoze.

Windows is a must! So we cannot use symlinks. (Andreas Raab has just
switched to a gcc environment...)

> Look in the Cedarkvist CVS doc in the appendix about the modules file,
> especially in the part about ampersand modules.

Thank you for this hint!

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)