Compiler, was Re: Block closures

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sat Jul 29 15:35:09 UTC 2000

Mats Nygren <nygren at sics.se> wrote...
>There is (at least) two important open question:
>
>1) How to handle #storeOn:. It should be in the same syntax as everything else.

I agree, and I like your approach.

>2) How to handle the scope of the syntax preference. If it (the serialized object)
>is going outside of the users preferences it should use the standard syntax. (Or
>some other syntax, the preferred syntax of the receiver)
>How do we know where the users preference ends?
>at least as big as image?

I think of projects as being a nice scope for this one.

> If you have comments at this eary stage, welcome. My hope is that it will
> make it a bit "simplified and clarified" and more flexible.

Speaking of "comments", the handling of comments in code is another thing that needs to get fixed in the present comiler.  It would greatly expand the set of interesting parsing, viewing, and translating projects if the underlying parse tree retained comments properly.

There isn't a clear rule about where in the parse tree a given comment should live.  While pretty printing frequently makes the code look better, it almost always undermines the effectiveness of the comments.

	- Dan