Stable Squeak World Tour (was Re: Camp Smalltalk 2000 CS2 (A trip report Tuesday))

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Jul 19 12:07:58 UTC 2000

I found this part of the page mentioning a Stable Squeak World Tour
(suggested by Ralph Johnson) quite interesting.

=========== from the page ========================
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/CampSmalltalk2.html

Ralph's second idea.

Stable Squeak World Tour

Oops not "Stable" Ok we all laughed, gee bring it up to stable
eh?
Perhaps Squeak World Tour.

How to make Squeak more like a business tool. For Disney
Squeak is a research tool, not a business tool. Ralph, John
Sarkela and David Thomas were talking and David said Squeak
was the best way to get Smalltalk out there. David said as long
as Disney is driving the process this it won't work. So a World
Tour is need to fix the problems.

John Sarkela as the tour guide! Perhaps I too can learn how to
make handlebar moustaches

The objective is to clean up the stuff in the Squeak image, there
is lots there but it’s a finite task. Ralph also talked to Dan Ingalls
about this topic and got approval. We need to refactor, build test
cases with the objective to build a more stable platform with a
busness flavor, let alone how to tie to ".net" as your scribe
points out.

Someone pointed out Disney was looking for a person to do this
task on comp.lang.smalltalk a few months back.

Squeak has lots of advantages.

Gee it's a lot of work? Squeak, Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk
conference.

Ok, remember we've asked Disney for feedback on this and we
think we do this without forking Squeak. The objective is to get
6-10 people together every other week and hack Squeak for a
week. In 8 to 10 weeks we suspect that all the work could be
done.

*A link to the World Tour Page should go here *

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com