Squeak Swiki out of order again

John Buffington jbuff at pacific.net
Wed Jul 5 16:51:03 UTC 2000

At 10:46 AM 7/5/00 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>
> > Not surprising during a holiday.  I'm sure Mark and company will have
> > it up soon enough.
>
>It's still dead.
>
> > Next step: can we build a redundant slave server that can mirror the
> > Swiki and take over the IP address if a heartbeat from the primary
> > server fails -- now THAT would be something.  Indeed, perhaps we can
> > arrange for it to do reasonable load-balancing in the interim?
>
>There could be a read-only mirror (for example at the european gsug.org
>site): Each time a page is modified in the master swiki, a rendered
>version of it could be uploaded to a special directory, an email
>notification about the changed page would be sent to the mirror, it would
>fetch the page. While rendering, the "special links" like edit, upload,
>history etc. should point to the master swiki, while all others should be
>relative. So if the master goes down, reading would still be possible.

I maintain a read only mirror of a swiki.net swiki on a unix server, and
would love
to automate the mirror process. I'd be glad to share what I know about
mirroring
swikis to the effort. Some of the techniques I use may be peculiar to the
swiki.net
swiki implementation, but there's usually more than one way to skin a cat.

John Buffington
http://echostar.swiki.net
http://www.echostaruser.org/ekb