[ENH] Socket Test Suite.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jul 5 23:28:08 UTC 2000

on 7/5/00 3:42 PM, Pennell, David at DPennell at quallaby.com wrote:

> Try connecting to a port on a terminal server running at say
> 9600 baud, send a file, and then close.  If the socket is
> aborted, the terminal server obligingly tosses all of the data
> in its buffer that hasn't drained out the slow port.
>
> Sounds a little unusual, but most of the terminal server ports
> sold today are connected to consoles on server and old legacy
> devices without network connections.  There are lots of network
> management systems that script through these things.
>
> The last I checked HP/UX still had a problem with aborting
> connections that you carefully shutdown().
>
> -david

Ok David, good point. As was pointed out earlier even on the mac the timeout
for shutdown is too short at 9600 baud when dealing with 64K of data. I had
forgotten about that issue.

When I was building the macintosh OT version I did have some fun with this
close/shutdown issue since an application can cheerfully issue these
commands at any time, if the socket is opened, closed, in shutdown
processing, shutdown, unconnected etc. Even on the mac there occasionally is
some weird state change issues, for which we close and we terminate
everything in sight for the socket in question. IE do it nice then advance
to aggressive behavior.

Don't get me started on what needed to be done when the silly Mac Sleeps
with active TCP/IP connections. Mind I'm curious about what happens for
Windows, let alone Unix/Linux laptops that you can sleep. Anyone want to run
some experiments?

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6