Squeak on a TINI?

Eric Arseneau eat at huv.com
Fri Jul 14 20:04:42 UTC 2000

> I have to give a plug for PST here. I've looked at it (in its prior,
> non-Squeak implementation), read the VM source, etc., and have been
> meaning
> to look at porting it to WinCE. Now that there's a Squeak port of the
> IDE,
> maybe I'll consider it (I usually run Linux). It's a great package, with
> lots of interesting work inside. (Thanks Eric!)

Tx.  Credit has to go to Andrew as well.

> The Squeak PST IDE also offers lots of possibilities as far as
> integrated
> debugging, downloading programs, etc. Imagine having an interactive
> remote
> debugger of some sort inside Squeak! It could even be object-aware,
> since it
> would have the Smalltalk sources of the PST program available.
> (actually,
> this is something that the Palm version of the PST environment also
> could
> stand -- it should be possible to hook up to the emulator for debug
> info).

That is what the next major component of the system is.  I have a few tools
I want to port to Squeak and release.  Once that is done, the DEBUGGER is my
number 1 priority.  I plan to have it support host based debugger, with code
running on a remote device.  The first incarnation will be for the Palm.
But I do plan to make the architecture actually be pluggable for different
situations.

ALSO, do not forget that you can run PST code inside of Squeak.  I have the
compiler compile <primitive: x> code compiled into
	self primitiveHandler callPrimitive: x
There is also a SYSCALL that will do the same type of thing.  What this
means is that the device does not have to exist yet, or the port of the VM.
Add the glue code to make Squeak do the appropriate thing for the SYSCALL or
primitive, and voila you can test.  For platforms like the Palm OS, it is
somewhat of a daunting project to do this, but you can still provide some
very basic testing facilities.  The Squeak version of the PST IDE is MUCH
more powerfull than the Dolphin one.  You can intermix code from the PST and
Squeak side.  Wouldn't that be a dream if we could all implement our
"primitives" in Squeak !!!