Xerox Parc Smalltalk history question

Martin B. Pomije pomije at inav.net
Fri Jul 7 03:54:26 UTC 2000

Jonathan Coupe wrote:

> I've been told that Parc in the classic days it had its own text editor - a
> sort of Smalltalkers emacs. Is this true? If so, I'd be grateful if could
> someone tell me its name, and suggest any sources of information I could
> access about it - especially the interface details.
>
> I'd also love to hear about any other classic Parc apps - I'm researching
> ThingLab, obviously. I want to try and find out as much as possible about
> Gui design as it was before it got polluted by the big guys.
>
> I know this isn't narrowly a Squeak issue, but I do think it's extremely
> relevant to Squeak's attempt to return to Smalltalks original values.
>
> Jonathan Coupe

The Thinglab paper is here:
http://www.2share.com/thinglab/ThingLab%20-%20index.html

This and many more great historic papers are also available from PARC.
http://www.parc.xerox.com/publications/pubs-hst.html
You can download some of the papers and they will are willing to send
many of the rest of the papers for free.

I recommend checking out:

Thing-Lab -- A Constraint-Oriented Simulation Laboratory
  Alan H. Borning
  July 1979

UNIX Needs A True Integrated Environment: CASE Closed
  Mark Weiser, L. Peter Deutsch and Peter B. Kessler
  January 1989

Requirements for an Experimental Programming Environment
  L. Peter Deutsch and Edward Taft
  June 1982

Methods for Teaching the Programming Language Smalltalk: Smalltalk in
the Classroom
  Adele J. Goldberg
  June 1977

Smalltalk-72 Instruction Manual
  Adele J. Goldberg and Alan C. Kay, editors
  March 1976 (Includes addendum dated June 22, 1976)

Personal Dynamic Media
  Learning Research Group
  March 1975 (Although my copy says March 1976.)

The Cedar Programming Environment: A Midterm Report and Examination
  Warren Teitelman
  June 1984

The Interlisp-D Group Papers on Interlisp-D
  September 1980, revised

Another resource that you may want to investigate is
http://www.uvc.com/videos/01Kay.video.html
This is an amazing demonstration.  The section on Grail alone is worth
the price the price of the tape!