Squeak running on OS9/OS-X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jul 9 07:28:25 UTC 2000

on 7/8/00 11:30 PM, Alan Kay at Alan.Kay at disney.com wrote:

> FWIW, I've been running the current Squeak for some time on system 9
> with no ill effects.
>
> Cheers,

Mmmm seems the title is misleading. I think the original question was really
about Squeak and OS-X and Carbon.

Any 'well behaved', read most, mac application will run on OS-X under the
emulated OS 9 classic environment. The thought was what if Squeak was a
Carbonized application, thus when run it is a unix process outside of the
classic OS9 process which gives it a protected memory space, better
time-slices, and of course unix memory allocation capabilities. It preserves
all the look/feel of squeak today, mind squeak doesn't have any mac
look/feel, so it's more a squeak to OS interface issue, we in theory can
move to carbon with *little* effort. {except serial ports, sound, MIDI}

In theory a carbonized application can run on system 8.1 and above,
certainly 9.x, although you don't have the UNIX features mentioned above.

This is different than building an application to the Cocoa API which is
Objective-C which is being ported to Java. Think of this as more of a port
of Squeak to another platform.

Lastly of course Squeak can run as an X-Windows Unix application under OS-X.

Which is the best choice is hard to say, certainly having a carbonized
Squeak allows you to hand out an application, let alone a browser plugin
(not sure how that will work), that will run in theory from system 8.1
upwards. Someone has done a codewarrior addon that allows you to build a
macintosh application for 68k, non-carbon, carbon as a single appl thus you
hand out one application and run from system 7.5.3 upwards.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6