CVS structure (Mac OS-X)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jul 9 20:50:26 UTC 2000

on 7/9/00 3:04 AM, Marcel Weiher at marcel at metaobject.com wrote:

>> From: John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
>> 1) Yes you could have a true Unix based application for Squeak
> under OS-X,
>> just make it part of the Unix tree, OS-X *IS* Unix.
>
> Why do you say 'could'?  The MacOS-X and MacOS-X-server ports of
> Squeak are just that, true Unix Squeaks, and have been for quite a
> while now.

'could' because I'm not sure running a x-windows based Squeak is the 'best'
solution for the mac. Doable, which is great, but is it acceptable? Mind of
course Squeak has no mac interface so many of the issues are mute.

> However, it is different from the other Unixen in that it doesn't
> use X-Windows, using native windowing accessed from Cocoa instead.
> So it isn't a straight version of the Unix line, although it does
> share the common socket and file I/O code, stuff like that.  (Note to
> self: update the sockets code!).

I think most of the Open Transport work I did will migrate to Cocoa.

Seems I'm forgetting the Cocoa work that has been done, my point was that
you should be able to take the basic x-windows code and compile that and run
it on OS-X, but as you've stated a true Cocoa application is better.

> On the other hand, it looks like the easiest way to support sound
> will be to use the Carbon routines, so the 'Unix version' of MacOS-X
> squeak might start to import code from the 'classic' MacOS line.

Open Transport, sound, quicktime. Seems they are here now in Carbon, but not
in Cocoa.

> I see Carbon as a pure legacy-support option that isn't really
> necessary for Squeak.  The MacOS-X(-server) version runs images
> bit-compatibly and has been around for, what, something like two
> years now.

The issue Apple is trying to avoid is having to ship different application
for different OSs. For some time there will be a large (think schools)
population of machines that won't run OS-X.  Also this helps when migrating
from OS 8/9.x to OS-X since you don't need to remember to upgrade your
Squeak application.  Have one binary/source code tree that allows you to run
OS 7.x thru to OS-X would be nice.

> Marcel

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6