Morphic thoughts and Questions

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 7 08:38:45 UTC 2000

[...scripting bloats morphic...]

Ah, scripting certainly does effect the amount of *code*.  It's hard to
fix this, though, until the design of the scripting stuff settles
down....

> >They would make a
> >terrific basis, I believe, for a full system to do business GUI's.  We
> >just need (a) more of them and (b) layout morphs.
>
> I partly disagree.  For an easy to use UI, I'd request
>
> (c) true models, that is objects which send notifications if one change
> them and so the UI automatically updates itself.
>
> The need to call these messages by hand right now is annoying.  As well as
> the fact that a list always gets assigned a completely new list or a text a
> new text object, even if one could modify the existing pseudo-model.

I don't follow how the current pluggable morphs are not based on true
models; they are classic model-view as done back in Smalltalk-80 and
probably before.  Are you requesting things like ValueHolder and
StringHolder, which automatically call #changed: when their contents are
modified?  I would still call that a change in volume rather than quality--
we need more stuff, but a lot of things are done at least tolerably well....

-Lex