AccuFonts licence (some assistence needed)

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at exobox.com
Fri Jul 7 22:02:11 UTC 2000

StrikeFonts are really just objects containing a wide, short 1-bit Form
with all of the characters rendered in it, with some extra tables indexing
the locations of each glyph, along with some simple stuff specifying
metrics.  They're rendered with BitBlt just like everything else.

While I can certainly engage a lawyer to craft language that meets my
specific level of comfort, that may not help anyone else who has other
needs - they would have to independently hire someone to make a similar
analysis.

And while I do have a particular interest in the nature of the license, I
don't think my interest is inherently different than that of anyone else
who wants to keep the flavor of the Squeak license intact.  After all, the
difference in the licenses between the fonts and the rest of the system is
the problem we're trying to fix here.

Notwithstanding the debate between Andrew Greenberg and Paul Fernhout about
the Squeak license, I think everyone would prefer that everything in the
image should fall under the same license, which is why I suggest talking
Mr. Easterbrook into that.  It keeps everything simple and uniform, and I
think the one-time translation into Squeak's format will deal with the bulk
of his concerns.

If X11 fonts fall under GPL, then I think that that might be a big problem
for Squeak, so that probably won't work.  Andrew could address that better
than I.

-- Duane

>on 7/7/00 12:05 PM, Duane Maxwell at dmaxwell at exobox.com wrote:
>
>> Obviously there needs to be some lawyer-work on this.  As written, the
>> intent is at best unclear.
>>
>> One way to protect them to some degree is for someone to convert the fonts
>> to StrikeFonts and deploy those rather than the original Windows files.  At
>> least there would be some barrier, in that someone would have to write code
>> to convert them back - which Bob Arning can do in about 20 seconds, but is
>> probably a more substantial effort for your average font pirate :)
>>
>> Do you think that he might be open to release of conversions of his fonts
>> under an unmodified Squeak license?  This seems to me to be the ideal
>> solution.
>>
>> -- Duane
>>

>Well I said we wanted to embed them in the Squeak image, and not have them
>as separate files, however that is done. I've not really peered over the
>fence so to speak and fully understood how fonts are contained, rendered and
>the like within a Squeak image? In the left hand I have some windows font
>files, in the right I just want to replace NewYork and allow you to pick
>monaco or geneva etc.
>
>I think you've a vested interest in ensuring you've a good set of fonts to
>pick from but not be in violation of a license ... So if some of your
>lawyers have some slack time...
>
>Then again isn't there a font licence for X11 fonts somewhere?
>
>--
>John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659
>Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
>PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
>Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6

Duane Maxwell              dmaxwell (at) exobox.com
CEO/CTO                       http://www.exobox.com
exobox, Inc.        (858)348-3040  FAX(858)348-3099

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
       and not necessarily that of exobox.