[VM][UNIX] Gnuified interpreter speedup

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 17 10:43:36 UTC 2000

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> I do this (these are two "cvs" commands, in case they get wrapped):
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak
> login
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak
> co -P Unix_2.8

By the way, once you have done "co" (or "checkout") in a directory once,
the utility will remember where all the files came from.  So you don't
have to add the big -d flag whenever you are working in a local CVS
directory.  Also, you never have to use -z at all--it just saves
bandwidth.

Putting this together, you can get the most recent version of all files
by just typing "cvs update" at the top of your local tree.  (Though you
might want to do a "cvs checkout ." every once in a while in order to
pick up any new files that have appeared).

Small tip: there is a nice -q flag on cvs which will make it quieter.

Another one: the Squeak tree *only* has Unix in it right now, so you can
just do "." instead of "Unix_2.8".  I'd actually suggest going with "."
and just downloading the whole tree, up until the point where you know
you only want a certain subset.

Finally, it might not have struck some people, but this all works the
same at a MS-DOS prompt.

-Lex