[Q] FFIPlugin for Unix

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Jul 9 20:30:27 UTC 2000

"Pennell, David" wrote:

> I've managed to build a plugin-ized Solaris VM from Tim's sources (with
> gcc).
> I removed the SoundPlugin subdirectory for the moment since it
> generated a few errors and I don't care about sound on this platform.
>
> After a little trial and error, I also managed to build SqueakFFIPrims.so.
> I was a little surprised to find that it was dependant on a Cygnus
> package.
>
> - Is liffi included on Linux (and other *nix's)?

Not at my Linux:

sr at Klaus:~ > apropos liffi; man liffi; liffi
liffi: nothing appropriate.
No manual entry for liffi
bash: liffi: command not found

> - What is the preferred way to add additional libs to link step?
>   (I manually edited the Makefile)

Probably you should edit
	.../2.8/conf/configure.in
(have just (!) found some libs there...).

> - Should this module be renamed FFIPlugin to be consistent with other
> plugins?

Probably.

> - Is somebody reworking the startup/shutdown code?  When I exit the image,
>   it wants to shutdown a non-existend SoundPlugin...

Possibly (!, not necessary a good idea) by using
	Smalltalk listBuiltinModules
.

Greetings,

Stephan