Ship it with Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Jul 1 13:01:46 UTC 2000

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 18:50 28.06.00 -0400, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> > > Hmm. This isn't quite true either.  Can you really show multiple fonts in
> > > multiple sizes in one workspace?
> >
> >Yes. Try "set font" in the "more..." yellow menu of a workspace. I just
> >did NewYork14. I have pasted in other fonted text..
>
> Please let us define "different font" first.

Well, ok, so long as we do it correct.

>  For me, NewYork12 and
> NewYork24 aren't different fonts but just the same font in different
> sizes.

Well, for Squeak---and the typesetting world---they're different
fonts. NewYork12 and NewYork24 can have completely different glyph
sets. Er...they *do* have completely different glyph sets.

>   And changing the font size is all you can do with the "set
> font..." menu option.

Well, you didn't *say* through the "set font..." menu option...though it
turns out with *minimal* tweaking, you can make that work too.

> So please let me repeat my question: Can you show one word written in font
> Comic12 and another word in font NewYork12 in the same workspace in the
> same size?  Looking at the "Welcome to..." window, there should be a way,
> but AFAIK, you can't.

Well, at this point, I'm no longer *confident* that I can satisfy your
concerns with more words that may not answer to your understanding. But
perhaps a picture will do the job:

	http://www.unc.edu/~bparsia/squeak/MultiFontWorkspace.gif

I would show the menu which now has Ypatia14 as a font option...but I
can't remember where I put the delay code for the screenshot that Bob did
up for me, and don't feel like it :)

The simplest way to add *more* fonts (not that there's just one at the
moment) to the set font...menu is to inpsect DefaultTextStyle, and
evaluate (something like):
	self fontAt: 5 put: (ComicBold fontAt: 3)

Then open a new workspace.

The UI studly with time on their hands can work up a new font menu that
collects various vaguely related "fonts" into "families" under a heading
in the menu with submenus for the "font sizes".

So, I *believe*, I sincerely *hope*, that it is now established that there
*is* a sufficently *rich* Rich Text Widget for, at least, *some*
purposes. I cannot say that it answers to *all* purposes, but it's also
pretty clear that *building* ones, using a variety of techniques, is
non-burdensome to various degreeds.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

P.S. Well, *yes*, I'm feeling a touch snippy...what's it to you? ;)
P.P.S. To be fair, I think mine is a *reactive* snippiness. I do tend to
get snippy when the number of "this what squeak needs before I'll deign to
use it" posts outweigh the "here's something cool to play with",
espeically when the former start talking about "most" or "many" people,
etc. etc.
P.P.P.S. Not that your concerns aren't valid, well-phrased, interesting
yadda yadda yadda. But I'd like to see a few more, "Well, here's one way I
can use squeak as is." type posts. Or "here's a small thing that would
help me, anyone up for it?"
P.P.P.P.S. But since we feature-whining...what I'm *dying* for is a Squeak
port of Lucene (a java VTwin full text search
clone): http://lucene.sourceforge.net/ Any java literate folks up to
P.P.P.P.P.S. (Different "blink" tag...don't be fooled.)