(Not just) Stupid thoughts (of mine) in [was: Re: [VM][UNIX] Gnuified interpreter speedup]

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sat Jul 22 01:04:48 UTC 2000

> I don't understand the issue.  If you are rebuilding an
> image, you must have development tools available, right?
> So what's so hard about doing "cvs checkout" to get the
> platform specific sources, and "Interpreter translate"
> to get the generic sources?  This is especially reasonable if
> you modify baseDirectoryName to point to your CVS directory.

It's all about convenience. If you have to move C files around because the
the file structure changes (and it *will* change over time) then it's nice
to have an easy way to make sure the required support files will end up in
the right place. Nothing is more irritating than "don't know how to make
xyz.c" if you have no idea where you should put the file. Considering that
CVS has severe limitation if it comes to reorganizing things I think it's a
very good idea to have some control over where the support files go from the
ST level.

That's all there is to it ;-)

  - Andreas