Socket>>sendData: and slow networks

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 10 12:19:40 UTC 2000

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Anyone want to write this? I've a need for it for correspondence/flow
> because the existing behavior is to wait forever for
> connect/waitForReadability etc.

This sounds like an application-level concern.  There should be *some*
way to interrupt a correspondents operation, but killing the thread
should be acceptable.  Even better would be if there was a "give up"
semaphore which could be signalled if the main thread wants to give up--
generally it's dangerous to just axe a thread cold in cold blood.

But popping up a dialog directly from low-level networking code is
annoying when there's no UI available.  It just sucks for your server to
stop running because some dialog has popped up on the server screen!

-Lex