[VM][SF] Replacement of make by jam? [was: Re: [SF][VM] Re: better directory structure]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Jul 22 21:04:29 UTC 2000

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Stephan Rudlof wrote:

> I have taken a - very short - look onto jam and the jam-file below. It
> looks better and seems to be better than the makefile stuff.
> It could be reasonable to switch to this tool and to go away from this
> annoying make, IMHO.
>
> What do others think about this idea?

IMHO it wouldn't bring us closer to the "run anywhere" ideal. It might
well be that jamfiles are easier to understand than makefiles. But the
need to get an additional tool to install Squeak doesn't justify this. The
switch from GNU make to autoconf/make was made partly because of this.

As long as there's no Squeak "make" replacement ("maque") I vote for
staying with autoconf/make. C'mon, it's not that hard ;^)

-- Bert