[BUG] Loading JMMExternalTableByIndex.1.cs expects ExternalSemaphoreTable

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jul 19 01:46:43 UTC 2000

on 7/18/00 7:02 PM, Rob Withers at slosher2 at home.com wrote:

> ExternalSemaphoreTable

This was change Set 2307. Ensure you've got all the 2.8 change sets loaded.

Change Set:        JMM-ExtSemaBuffersAndLessInt
Date:            7 June 2000
Author:            johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com

When I was building a high performance tcp/ip test server I found a number
of problems with the external interrupt interface. The first problem is the
table at 25 elements is too small, I had test cases that triggered upto 216
interrupts. The second issue was the signalSemaphoreWithIndex: method
consolidated semaphores, so two calls on the same semaphore might become one
call. This isn't how the Semaphore logic work in the Squeak Class. The third
and more difficult problem to solve is that the code used to populate the
table and reading from the table is not thread safe.
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6