Dumb question: middle vs right buttons on 3 button mouse

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Sat Jul 8 11:16:29 UTC 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Ned Konz wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> > > I don't see it there. I have looked in the "windows" menu as well
> > > as the "help/edit preferences/windows" menu.
> >
> > I meant the "MS Windows" window menu - click the top left button of the
> > Squeak Window title bar, you get a menu, at the bottom there is a
> > preferences entry.
>
> But it works right under Windows. It's Linux that it doesn't work right
> in. And there's no corresponding windows menu choice that I can see.

In short:  RTFAQ (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/FaqMouseButtons)

It might be that you're used to the wrong mapping if you haven't switched
on "3 button" in Windows. The left (red) button is for selecting, the
middle (yellow) button for the context menu, the right (blue) button for
meta ops, like halos. If you want to get the wrong mapping under Linux you
only need to change a line or two in sqXWindow.c to swap the right and
middle button.

-- Bert