[ALPHA]{UNIX][2.8][2.9alpha?] Unix networking with 3 semaphoreand accepts and backlog listen - Scamper works! ;)

Rob Withers slosher2 at home.com
Thu Jul 20 14:50:56 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Rob Withers wrote:
>
> John M McIntosh wrote:
> >
> > > Also remember a support issue is that you must
> > > support old images with the
> > > new VM and C socket code. Therefore you must mimic
> > > the behavior of the 2.7 C
> > > socket code. (Perhaps not the broken behavior)
>
> > Here is my first stab at it.
> > please let me know if it is ugly or broken or, god-forbid,
> > working....especially those of you with non-Linux machines!
>
> I tried it with my Comanche image (which is running fine with
> 2.7+Lex patches) but can't connect to the swiki. It spit's out an error to
> the console
>         acceptHandler: Invalid argument
> and then Squeak just hangs.
>
> Perhaps you should make sure Lex's accept stuff works, before adding the
> new 3 semaphore stuff? (If this makes sense - I don't know anything about
> the sockets at all)
>
> -- Bert

Ok, here is a few more changes.  The Accept test was updated.  Get this
- it turns out that the Accept test does 2 tests in the one method.  It
Listens, connects, accepts, closes, then repeats it with a slightly
different protocol (that does the same thing).  I added a varient that
puts a 1 millisecond delay between the two accepts.  This *works*!!!

Work to be done \:
Error codes
ensure buffering
verify stable semaphores

Lex, is this looking promising to you?  Hopefully, I didn't mangle your
code too much.  :)

Rob

Smalltalking by choice.  Isn't it nice to have one!