Pen-based operation

Yoshiki Ohshima ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Wed Jul 12 08:44:58 UTC 2000

  Hi,

  I recall an issue related pen-based operation.

  Sometime before the definition of Sensor>>waitButton has
changed as it has 50 millisecond delay in it.  I found it
affects much for pen-based operation of Squeak, such as on
Zaurus.

  For example, "The simplest drawing tool":

  p _ Pen new.
  [Sensor yellowButtonPressed] whileFalse: [
    p place: Sensor waitButton.
    [Sensor redButtonPressed] whileTrue: [
      p goto: Sensor cursorPoint.
    ]
  ]

doesn't work well on Squeak/Zaurus because of the delay.
You can move the pen much faster and more accurate than the
mouse.  (If I remove the delay, it works fine!)

  Of course I can fix this in my image and it might have
some advantage on a certain platform, but it seems to me
that this introduce some platform dependency (why 50?) into
the base image.  Would anyone tell me the rationale behind
this?

  Thank you,

  -- Yoshiki