external programs

Chris Reuter cgreuter at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 5 05:31:14 UTC 2000

[Yes, I realize that I'm following up to a 20 day old post.  I've been
ignoring the list and enjoying the nice weather instead, as of late  ;)]

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 05:11:11PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> > I'm not aware of a general solution, but it's pretty easy to call external
> > programs in Windows using the FFI.  This is my first contact with FFI, so
> > I'm not sure whether this is the most elegant solution but it seems to work.
>
> Yes - this seems like the best option. Which means I will have to move
> to Squeak 2.8. I'll have to see if I can make this work on all
> platforms (winShellOpen:, macShellOpen: and unixShellOpen:) inside a
> single image.

Actually, the "system" function will do this and, since it's part of
the ANSI C library specification, should be available on every system
that runs Squeak.

There are a few other ANSI lib OS functions that would also be useful
to reach from Squeak such as getenv() and setenv().

			     --Chris