Mouse button usage inconsistent with accepted practice?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jul 7 17:57:29 UTC 2000

This problem has come up before, and what I think the conflict really boils down to is that Windows
considers the middle mouse button to be the "least used", and Smalltalk (and Unix?) considers the
right mouse button to be the "least used".

Given that, I don't know if there's any permanent solution.

I can see why Windows treats the middle button this way, this allows the right button to consistently
be referred to as the "right button" in documentation, regardless of whether the user has a 2 or 3
button mouse.

I think it's fairly clear that the right (a.k.a. blue) mouse button is the least important in
Smalltalk, given that a two-button (e.g. Windows) configuration uses only the red and yellow buttons,
relegating the blue button to a modifier key combo.

I don't know if any studies have been done regarding which mouse buttons should be treated as primary,
secondary, etc.... could be interesting.

(On a related note, I still think "primary", "secondary" and "tertiary" are the best generic
(intention revealing :-) ) terms for the three buttons, rather than "red", "yellow" and "blue".)

See the Squeak FAQ item at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/897 for more details on this topic.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net, @riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group, Ann Arbor, MI