[VM][UNIX] Gnuified interpreter speedup

Rob Withers slosher2 at home.com
Tue Jul 18 08:47:19 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> > I do this (these are two "cvs" commands, in case they get wrapped):
> >
> > cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak
> > login
> >
> > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak
> > co -P Unix_2.8
> >

> By the way, once you have done "co" (or "checkout") in a directory once,
> the utility will remember where all the files came from.  So you don't
> have to add the big -d flag whenever you are working in a local CVS
> directory.  Also, you never have to use -z at all--it just saves
> bandwidth.
>
> Putting this together, you can get the most recent version of all files
> by just typing "cvs update" at the top of your local tree.  (Though you
> might want to do a "cvs checkout ." every once in a while in order to
> pick up any new files that have appeared).

Cool!  Thanks for the tips.   It looks like the sqcvs project and the
cvst project will be able to provide this in the image very soon (if not
already).  It looks like the cvs model will store the files in the image
and the cvst stuff will write it out to the filesystem.  This is perhaps
not far from someone's recent posting of generating the files into the
right directories for a make.  Would it make sense to be able to
generate these platform files from inside of squeak?

> Small tip: there is a nice -q flag on cvs which will make it quieter.
>
> Another one: the Squeak tree *only* has Unix in it right now, so you can
> just do "." instead of "Unix_2.8".  I'd actually suggest going with "."
> and just downloading the whole tree, up until the point where you know
> you only want a certain subset.
>
> Finally, it might not have struck some people, but this all works the
> same at a MS-DOS prompt.

Oh!  Does anybody have one of those handy then?  Actually, I'd rather
bash about a bit.

thanks for your help,
Rob