Belling the cat of complexity (was: Ship it with Squeak)

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Sat Jul 1 16:57:55 UTC 2000

At 10:17 AM 6/30/00 -0400, john.g.gardner at ca.pwcglobal.com wrote:

>I agree.
>
>It also looks like many people on this list agree with the following
principles:

>1. Squeak should be open and usable by everyone, with base class/VM changes
>submitted for everyone's benefit.
>
>2. A modular Squeak, built up from a core functionality using images or
plugins.

>3. A packaging utility which strips unnecessary classes from the distribution
>and wraps some installation functionality around a shipping product.

Or instead use the composite approach with the core functionality image in
the release so that stripping isn't required?

>I would like to add the following principles:
[snip]

>My personal position is this:
>
>1. I would like to see that Squeak becomes a viable tool for creating software
>products for sale. An open source version of Smalltalk is a powerful competitor
>to Java, C++ and commercial Smalltalk.
[snip]

It seems to me there may be sufficient interest in an ANSI standard,
open-source alternative to commercial dialects.  This alternative apparently
conflicts with the goal of Squeak Central and many on the list for a pure
research vehicle.

I think those wishing to ship an application (commercial, or free) would
support this alternative.  Also those looking to check out, learn, or use a
free Smalltalk, and those teaching OOP or Smalltalk.

I don't see any conflict between the above uses, and an ANSI standard,
open-source alternative to commercial dialects would be used and supported
by all.  I suggest the project target those with the above uses.

My main worry is that a separate fork or whatever for this may slowly die if
there is no champion of it.  Successful open-source projects all seem to
have some institution or individual that supports it.

I'm pretty hazy in my thoughts here, but this usually seems to be a company,
or educational institution or department.  The software is distributed from,
and changes coordinated by, the champion.  The champion seems to carry the
project over the lean spots.

Also on the licensing issues, maybe an alternative to trying to straighten
out the Squeak situation would be to move useful ideas to GNU Smalltalk.  I
don't know if its license is more suited to the alternative Smalltalk.  If
not, are there other open-source Smalltalks that might serve better as the
starting point?

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy