Squeak on a TINI?

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Jul 14 15:28:42 UTC 2000

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 07/14/2000 11:28 AM

Alan,

     While I'm used to buying processor evaluation boards in this price range
and higher at work, I think one of Mark's points about the TINI is that it is
very inexpensive (i.e. $50 in single peice quantities).

Mark,

     I think it would be challenging to port Squeak to the TINI board.  The
processor can directly address up to 4MB of off chip memory, and it is basically
a hopped up 8051 eight bit microcontroller.  Clocked at 40 MHz, you'll get 10
MIPS (an instruction being defined as an 8051instruction).  Using the on chip
arithmetic accelerator, you can get around 1.5 M 16x16 bit multiplies per
second.
The 8051 is an accumulator based architecture, and said accumulator is only 8
bits, so it may present a serious performance bottleneck.

     I think memory bandwidth is probably Squeak's single biggest demand of a
target architecture, and on the TINI you'll be topping out at about 10 to 15
megabytes per second.

     I could probably be persuaded to contribute to an effort to port Squeak to
the TINI, but I think it's more than a one person job if you want to get it done
in a fairly short timespan.

                                              -Dean Swan
                                              dean_swan at mitel.com

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com> on 07/14/2000 07:06:27 AM