Pocket Smalltalk 2.0 Alpha (Windows)

Eric Arseneau eat at huv.com
Sat Jul 8 08:22:31 UTC 2000

I've been working my but off for a while now and was trying to release
everything this week.  I got everything done last night.  Then this morning
I started prepping the some documentaiton and doing tweaks to the Pocket
Smalltalk web site.  Well, the tweaking turned into a total rework of the
web-site. Stupid  me ;->

Well, I'm too tired to get the very last thing done, and that is prepare the
downloadable packages for the different platforms.  Since I busted my hump
to get this stuff out today, and now that I'm out of gas.  I thought I would
at least let someone know its there.  Since most of you are already
Squeakers, it should be easy for you all to follow.

You can check out the new site at http://www.PocketSmalltalk.com/new.  You
can navigate around and see what's there.  Any comments would really be
appreciated.  A lot of work went into this damn thing.  But make the
comments on the egroups mail list setup for Pocket Smalltalk.  More info at
http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/new/discussion.htm.  I think the new site
actually sucks, but I can't figure out how else to do it.  Its really
difficult to start dealing with multiple patforms, multiple versions, and
not having the bit-identical running features of Squeak.

For those of you wanting to see some of the cool techie stuff on how this
puppy works, here is a link to wet your appetite.  Drill down into the two
sections on the left

	http://www.PocketSmalltalk.com/new/20aalpha-installation.htm

pocketstug eGroup members:  Take the time to look at some of this stuff.  It
took a lot of work and a lot of time to get all of this stuff done.  Some
comments on both the site and the new release would really help.  I think
that what is there is really cool.  I know it has a long way to go still,
but it is, I believe, a good start.  Also, please test is as much as you can
and let me know.  I think the VM I include still has the chunk stuff, I'll
get Joey's new VM when I can.  Otherwise, any VM should work.  Read the
migrating from 1.5 section, it is VERY important.

PS: I changed my mind, I've released a Windows version that has everything
all ready, its my test from virgin image and has very little in it, but it
has all of the stuff you will need.  For those of you who want it on other
platforms, follow the information in the installation link above and
information from
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.388

PS: I plan to take time with my wife and child over the weekend, so do not
expect responses too quickly.