[Questions]Events

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 28 19:27:41 UTC 2000

In message <3981D6C8.9639FE71 at bike-nomad.com>
          Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know whether it's possible to signal an external
> Semaphore asynchronously? I looked at doing just this (including using SIGIO)
> for the Serial stuff, but didn't know how it would work.
You can use signalSemaphoreWithIndex asynchronously, but the semaphore
wil only get _actually_ signalled the next time checkForInterrupts is
called.

> I was also going to generalize the polling (at least under Unix) to make it
> possible for any module that needs to be called for polling and/or needs
> to have file handles checked to do so.
>
> Is this work still useful?
I think so - I'd love to see a simpler mechanism than the two ugly
special cases currently in use. If you can think of a way to unify them,
go for it.

tim
CCCP:> format CCCP: /u