[SF][VM][UNIX] VM 2.8a Call for work... [was: Re: [ENH] Socket Test Suite.]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Jul 11 00:21:33 UTC 2000

Look at the bottom...

Lex Spoon wrote:

> John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> > Also Craig and I have be chatting back and forth on this whole close issue,
> > since on the macintosh we do this shutdown or half socket close then go into
> > waitForDisconnect: waiting for the socket to close, then after the timeout
> > we do the actual close if required to disconnect the socket, if in fact the
> > otherside hasn't issued a shutdown(2) or close(2).
> >

> Excellent.  I must admit, when I first saw that code on the Squeak side,
> I wondered why the system bothered with all that effort.  Later I
> started thinking about how to fix things for Unix, and realised that it
> does exactly what would be needed -- doh!
>
> > I did see a problem if you happen to do socket to socket on the same machine
> > within the same image with a higher priority server. The higher priority
> > server using the close(2) tends to flush and disconnect the client before
> > the client can get around to reading the data. This of course is a unique
> > issue, but if you happen to write a client/server application and do testing
> > within one image, well you might encounter it. This however is NOT a problem
> > with the Socket code on the macintosh, perhaps on Linux or windows?
> >

> Wow, this makes a terrific test case!  Clearly all the data should be
> sent successfully (assuming you properly do waitForDisconnectUntil: and
> such), and so if it doesn't a bug is pointed out.
>
> I have modified an older sqUnixNetwork.c as needed, and people can look at it
> at:
>
>         http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/sqUnixNetwork.c
>
> It probably needs to be integrated into what ever the
> most recent version of sqUnixNetwork.c is.

The difference between the one at SourceForge and Lex's is quiet big:

sr at Klaus:~/Squeak/Unix_2.8/src > ls -alg /tmp/sqUnixNetwork.c
-rw-r--r--   1 sr       users       25845 Jul 11 02:14
/tmp/sqUnixNetwork.c
sr at Klaus:~/Squeak/Unix_2.8/src > ls -alg SocketPlugin/sqUnixNetwork.c
-rw-r--r--   1 sr       users       27577 Jul 10 02:30
SocketPlugin/sqUnixNetwork.c

Anybody out there who is familiar with this stuff and wants to do the
integration?

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)