Unique Object ref?

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Tue Jul 4 08:33:27 UTC 2000

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to get an unique identifier to an
Object, e.g. as an Integer. There is a method asOop in Object (calling a
primitive), with comment "Answer a SmallInteger whose value is half of
the reciever's object pointer [...]", but as this is only half the
pointer, I am doubtful as to the uniqueness of this oop.

So, is there a way to get a guaranteed unique oop?
"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium