Squeak running on OS9

Adam Bridge abridge at mac.com
Sun Jul 9 22:06:58 UTC 2000

    On 7/9/00 at 5:16 PM, Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM thoughtfully wrote:
>     I'd like to ask if you could refrain from using the terms "OS9" and
> "Mac OS Version 9.x" as if they are synonyms.  It took me quite a while
> to realize that this thread was about Mac OS 9, rather than Microware
> OS-9, which predates Mac OS-9 by about 20 years, and is still widely in
> use in embedded systems.  They (Microware) are also currently pushing
> embedded Java fairly heavily, so I thought it made sense that someone
> might want Squeak on the *real* OS9.
>
>     That having been said, can anybody explain to me why I might want
> to spend $90 to upgrade from Mac OS 8.6 to 9.x, rather than just
> skipping it and going straight for Mac OS-X, the benefits of which are
> obvious ?

I think you'll need MacOS 9.x to run the Classic environment under Mac OS X. At
least you do now and I doubt that will change.

There are good reasons for the Squeak kernel to be written to Carbon, however,
and I hope that someone will do that.

First it will clear the kernel of the depreciated APIs so the code base
supporting Squeak will be more modern (and supported.) It will also have some
advantages when running under MOSX but when not running the native MOSX version.

CarbonDater suggests some fair extensive changes but its way out of league
anymore to even contemplate making them.

ab