[SF][VM] better directory structure

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 21 01:41:27 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Is it true that all modules can equally well be compiled internally or
> externally?
It is _supposed_ to be so, but I've never been able to make the
LargeInteger plugin compile internally on Linux.

Certainly any platform specific code is supposed to be ok for builtin or
external use; it's really easy to use the proper
interpreterProxy->blah() idiom for access to the VM.

>  In fact, isn't it reasonable to compile modules *both* ways
> in the same build?  If so, it seems odd to separate modules into
> separate directories depending on whether they will be internal or
> external.
It's not a problem particularly for the _module_ code (though currently
a set of macros are generated a little differently for the two cases)
but it is a big deal for the generated sqNamedPrimitives.h file.

I suspect (but don't have the energy left to try it out today) that by
allowing a single -Ddefine in the makefile we could re-factor those
macros to allow a trivially easy compile-time way to build all-in or
all-out from the same source tree.

tim